78% would recommend to a friend
(3062 total reviews)
89% approve of CEO
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Benefits good and reasonable for employee" (in 265 reviews)
- "The salary is good and used to be above average" (in 233 reviews)
- "Great culture and world class work environment" (in 159 reviews)
- "Great people and working envirnoment" (in 156 reviews)
- "The pay was good and the people were really helpful." (in 102 reviews)
- "The only negative thing about BAT is that there's no work/life Balance at all!" (in 170 reviews)
- "Poor management and buddy system." (in 73 reviews)
- "Late working hours 100% remote work (I love the hybrid model) Less marketing exposure due to regulation" (in 57 reviews)
- "Long hours it’s hard to take a break" (in 35 reviews)
- "Slow career progression" (in 34 reviews)
Found 3,062 of over 6K reviews
Updated 4 Dec 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 4.011 Nov 2023Finance ManagerFormer EmployeeHong Kong
BAT is truly global companies which could take your career almost everywhere if you are up for it
HK is a small market so there is not much opportunities unless you perform really well and be internationally mobile
- 2.09 May 2022Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 1 yearHong Kong
They pay you well and you are expected to work extremely long hours.
Zero work-life balance. Everyone hangs out with each other at work which is very odd... no life beyond work. It is a pretty toxic environment where everyone gossips. I feel people stay because of the remuneration package and international mobility opportunities. The actual business is going down... cigarettes will phase out, and the new cat strategies are a complete flop. Sadly, many of these international expats stay with BAT because they know they won't get paid more elsewhere or have the same opportunity. CEO and Leadership Team are all very hierarchical. People operate under fear... the ones who are chosen are very good at managing up. Not real leaders or innovators.5
- 2.013 May 2022Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 10 yearsHong Kong
Multi national corporate culture and opportunities
compulsory retirement at fifty five yo
- 2.029 Apr 2022Senior ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsHong Kong
Relatively flexible work arrangements in place.
Unrealistic ambition pushed from the top. All about chasing numbers and story telling but not doing what’s required for longer term.
- 5.012 Mar 2022Head of Brand Marketing and Portfolio StrategyCurrent EmployeeHong Kong
diverse multinational potential role rotations in different countries good benefits
long processes for each project hierarchical low female representation in leadership / more senior roles more powerpoint presentations than necessary slow career progression1
- 5.022 Oct 2021Marketing DirectorCurrent EmployeeHong Kong
True meritocracy, high performing team culture, strong remuneration packages.
Business is in the midst of transformation - tolerance of ambiguity and change required.
BAT Reviews FAQs
BAT has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 5,578 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at BAT to a friend and 66% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.
78% of BAT employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated BAT 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.