What does a Writer do?
Writers use their command of language and an audience to conceptualize, research, write, and edit works including a manuscript, poem, article, or other written content types. They work across various genres, including nonfiction or satire. They work in many sectors as copywriters, technical writers, bloggers, feature writers, journalists, or editors. They are sometimes called upon to help collaborate with teams in house, including marketing or fundraising.
Writers conduct extensive research for their projects and may be called upon to look through data and find a story within it to write. Writers are employed in various occupational fields and have multifaceted career choice pathways to choose from. They conduct interviews and read through transcripts, evaluate data sets, and compile and gather information. Writers need a minimum high school diploma and coursework in English, reading and writing.
- Ensure type of content and writing style matches the target audience.
- Manage phone calls and correspondence (e-mail, letters, packages etc.)
- Lead the quality checking process for the project technical specifications.
- Coordinate with editors for assignments and feedback.
- Collaborate with multiple teams including marketing, sales, client services, design, social, and editorial.
- Receive RFPs, review the document and send out assignments to the Sales Executive associated with the response.
- Coordinate and supervise all graphic work created in the execution of assigned promotion campaigns.
- Take complex material and industry jargon and streamline them into linear, engaging stories.
- Ensure consistency in tone of voice and messaging across all content. ensure accuracy, relevance, quality, and purpose.
- Play an active role in all aspects of content planning and strategy.
- Research, write, self-edit, and post relevant items throughout the week.
- Ensure that all content aligns with firm's brand positioning and editorial standards.
- See through all content from ideation to execution ensuring all necessary stakeholders have reviewed and approved.
- Provide ongoing copywriting and editorial support to communications and RFP teams.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in english, marketing, communications, media, or journalism or equivalent experience.
- A leader and problem solver with sound critical thinking skills.
- Experience as a professional writer.
- Comfortable collaborating with clients and teams.
- Can provide drafts and mockups with an eye on editing and strengthening copy and works.
- A natural problem solver with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated multitasking and time management skills and adherence to deadlines.
Writer Salaries near Hong Kong
Average Base Pay
Writer Career Path
Learn how to become a Writer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
“But as a contract employee it was great because it just meant a good pay day.”
“My teams were usually nice and most of the time I enjoyed what I did.”
“Most clients are kind and good to work with and I enjoy the other writers as well.”
“Everyone was willing to work with you and teach you and help you grow as a student employee.”
“I worked with a great team and worked on two different projects during my contracts there.”
“It was honestly really fun to make quizzes all day and the pay was fair to me.”
“salary is good and in this experience I learned how to manage my time properly.”
“fighting cancer is the best mission around and I've been part of a great team there since 1999.”
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of writers
A typical day for a writer includes studying the world around them looking for inspiration. There are many different types of writing. Fiction writers write novels or short stories. Some writers draft scripts for movies or television series. Once a writer has finished the first draft, the writer edits it multiple times. The revision process can take as long as the writing process.
Writing can be a rewarding and enjoyable career for creative people whose stories leap from their minds to the page. One advantage of being a writer is that once you start earning royalties, you have more spare time to spend with your friends or family. Also, a writer's hours are flexible because it's not a typical 9-to-5 job.
The average annual salary for writers in the United States is HK$18,000. Writers can make much more than this from royalties, advertisements, and promotional events. The jackpot is when a production company buys the rights to your written work to transform it into a movie. This doesn't happen for everyone, but don't sell yourself short either.
There are some difficult aspects of working as a writer. For example, many people dream of becoming bestselling authors but it may take several failures before you finally get your big break. This is why, when becoming a writer it's important to find your genre and a niche market to set yourself up for success.