What does a Senior Event Planner do?
Event planners develop, plan, and execute a variety of both internal and external events. They oversee all aspects of event planning and management, including identifying and working with a variety of external venues/facilities, negotiating contracts with vendors, and maintaining and managing event budgets. Event planners often manage all logistics on-site, which leads them to work long and non-traditional hours.
Event planners generally have a Bachelor's degree in hospitality management. Additionally, the best event planners have strong organizational, budgeting, and time management skills.
- Manage all aspects of an event from pre-planning, determining resource needs, pre-event marketing, and on-site coordination, to post event follow up
- Order supplies needed for events and ensure items arrive in a timely fashion
- Assist in site and vendor selection and negotiating the best possible rates and terms
- Develop effective and collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Supervise staff at events, assign duties, and provide general direction
- Conduct post-event data and strategic analysis to inform future events
- Plan and execute pre-event marketing
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Hospitality Management, Marketing, Business, or Communications
- 2-3 years experience planning and executing events of varying sizes
- Ability to manage external vendor resources and relationships
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing priorities and duties
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
Senior Event Planner Salaries
Average Base Pay
Senior Event Planner Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Event Planner, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Senior Event Planner Insights
“directly leadership was good but anyone hire took day and weeks to respond to any and all requests”
“It was so fun and I got to work with my friends and hang out with kids all day.”
“Pay can be good in banquets and on holidays or if your in a wedding position.”
“The younger staff were clicky and pretty much bullied me in my role so I left.”
“High standards across the board are expected and you get to work with really great people.”
“The people working with me were very nice so I totally enjoyed working with them.”
“Many opportunities to advance your career if you are interested in a field operations management position.”
“Salary is not comparable to being in the same position in the tech industry versus the hospitality industry.”
Senior Event Planner Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of event planners
The typical day of an event planner includes(https://www.glassdoor.com/Career/event-planner-career_KO0,13.htm)taking a client's vision and turning it into an event. An event planner is responsible for planning, organizing, and coordinating all aspects of an event. Important tasks may include hiring vendors, overseeing staff, and ensuring that all aspects come together on the day of the event.
The best part about working as an event planner is that they're in demand in many industries to plan corporate events and retreats. Working conditions are often versatile too, as professionals may spend traditional work hours meeting with clients and vendors but nights and weekends overseeing events.
Event planners have the opportunity to earn competitive pay. The average salary for an event planner is HK$17,000 per year in the United States. Event planners who work with larger corporations planning large events may earn even more, sometimes up to HK$17,000 per year.
Working as an event planner can be a stressful job at times, as the client expects them to meet their goals while also maintaining the company budget. One challenge of being an event planner is that they must also maintain good relationships with vendors and have strong problem-solving skills in order to overcome common challenges.