What does a School Bus Driver/Trainer do?
As a school bus driver, you are responsible for bringing children to and from school, ensuring timely pick-up and safe drop-off in the process. Bus routes may be in highly-populated, high-traffic urban areas; on the other end of the spectrum, routes may be in very rural areas with poor road conditions. In any area, driver's may provide transportation for events, including field trips, during and outside of school hours, or for private groups. While you are on the road, you are responsible for maintaining a safe environment for everyone inside the bus.
Training for school bus driver's includes completing specialized courses and obtaining the required driver's license. This usually involves passing theoretical and practical exams. You must also keep a clean driving record, provide a police record check and pass drug and alcohol tests. Apart from driving, integral skills to have include patience, attentiveness to your environment and effective decision-making.
- transport students to and from school and special events
- adhere to an assigned schedule
- arrive at pick-up and drop-off points in a timely manner
- ensure the safety of all bus passengers
- complete maintenance records and incident reports
- maintain a high standard of cleanliness inside the bus
- conduct daily inspections of the vehicle prior to operation
- recognize and report any required bus maintenance
- completion of a government-certified driver training program
- professional driver's licence with school bus endorsement
- 3+ years professional bus driving experience
- 1+ year working with children
- clean five-year driving abstract and no at-fault accidents within the last five years
- familiarity with the assigned driving zone
- strong interpersonal and communication skills
- clear police record check
- valid first aid certificate
School Bus Driver Trainee Salaries near Hong Kong
There are no current reports for School Bus Driver Trainee salaries. You can add additional job titles in your job preferences to see related salary information.
School Bus Driver/Trainer Career Path
Learn how to become a School Bus Driver/Trainer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
School Bus Driver/Trainer Insights
“Not enough hour No benefit Not enough hour No benefit Not enough hour No benefitNot enough hour No benefit”
“This was a great opportunity for those who are full time college students or parents.”
“Everyone is so nice and great to work with.”
“I enjoy this job for the time being and look forward to another great year.”
“Good pay and I make good money”
“You have to work two jobs to make enough money to live a simple life.”
“Really good management you don’t work on holidays and weekends.”
“You get really good benefits and you’re in a union.”
School Bus Driver/Trainer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a School Bus Driver/Trainer
- Delivery Driver
- Bus Driver
- Truck Driver