What does a Sales Associate do?
Sales associates are responsible for selling products or services while providing excellent customer service. Sales associates perform an important role in the overall customer experience by helping with sales, customer inquiries, merchandising, and store maintenance. Sales associates work in a wide variety of environments selling anything from shoes to electronics.
Most sales associates have a high school diploma or equivalent. Training for these roles usually take place on-the-job. Many sales associates advance into supervisory roles within the sales department. The best sales associate are truly dedicated to providing a high-quality experience for customers.
What responsibilities are common for Sales Associate jobs?
- Assist customers with requests in store and on the phone
- Demonstrate knowledge of products and services to customers
- Greet customers in a friendly and polite manner
- Keep an eye on inventory levels and restock shelves as needed
- Educate customers about current promotions and advertisements
- Ring up customers at the cash register, take payments, and issue receipts
- Stamp, mark, and tag prices on merchandise
- Contribute to team's daily sales goals
What are the typical qualifications for Sales Associate jobs?
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- 1-2 years of sales experience or customer service experience
- Willing to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Strong orientation towards providing excellent customer service
- Basic math skills
- High attention to detail
- Demonstrated selling skills
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance
Sales Associate Salaries
Average Base Pay
Same as national average
Not including cash compensation
Glassdoor Estimated Salary
Sales Associate Insights
Read what Sales Associate professionals have to say about their job experiences and view top companies for this career.
Sales Associate22 Feb 2021
“If you have a good manager it’s the best job everyone is fun and relaxed”
Sales Associate28 Oct 2021
“The product is amazing and I’m proud that we get to offer this to our clientele”
Sales Associate21 Jun 2021
“Not the best pay and could end up spending all money on clothes since discount was so good”
Sales Associate26 Jul 2021
“The job was really easy and got to work with people around my age.The discount was also really good.”
Seasonal Sales Associate29 Jan 2021
“The discount is great (50%) and really enjoyed the people who I was working with.”
Sales Associate/Cashier24 Jan 2023
“When you have a good team to work with it’s amazing and delegation and workload is good.”
Sales Associate7 Feb 2022
“It was good money and the extra discount on expensive items that don't normally have a discount is nice.”
Sales Associate4 Jun 2021