What does a National Account Manager do?
Account managers are assigned accounts or customers, and serve as a link between their employer and the customer or the account. They stay in close communication with a client and listen to their needs to figure out ways to achieve their objectives. They act as liaisons between clients and departments within their company and convey information and ensure there is mutual understanding and that business is conducted in an accurate and timely manner. Account managers also inform clients about other services and actions that may lead to greater success or satisfaction.
Account managers monitor a client's budget and explain costs. They negotiate new terms when necessary and provide progress reports to clients and upper management. They stay abreast of trends, changes, and actions by competitors that could impact their clients, and they train junior employees in account servicing. They are assigned clients after salespeople close deals and salespeople brief them on the client's goals and other pertinent information. Account managers assume responsibility for the client from that point on. They foster good relationships with the clients they serve and need a minimum bachelor's degree in business, marketing, communications, public relations, or related fields.
- Conduct and lead quarterly business reviews internally and externally.
- Generate new business within an assigned group of leads and opportunities.
- Look for opportunities to develop strengths and improve weaknesses.
- Work directly with clients to set strategy, programming and budgets.
- Proactively coach team to manage and resolve customer issues.
- Manage a team and provide clear and fair direction and feedback.
- Recruit, hire, train, develop and retain a high-perform team.
- Problem solver who identify root causes and provide solutions.
- Oversee new client set-up, renewals and open enrollment meetings.
- Be responsible for overall account fiscal status, including reconciliation.
- Establish, maintain and coordinate service dialogue between business units.
- Work with customer teams to drive growth initiatives.
- Graduate's Degree in business, business administration, or marketing or equivalent experience.
- Experience in onboarding and consulting.
- A critical thinker with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills for negotiation and collaboration.
- Able to lead others.
National Account Manager Salaries near Hong Kong
Average Base Pay
National Account Manager Career Path
Learn how to become a National Account Manager, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
National Account Manager Insights
“I really enjoyed the work and for the most part the team I worked within was great.”
“I am currently only in my 3rd week however the training has been very thorough and professional.”
“Level Exec of the company was wonderful and the other teams was great to work with.”
“I was happy at CA. Casey was great to work with and was always helpful.”
“Worked with some of the best colleagues around the world who are helpful and resourceful.”
“Rest everything is great and.. if you just focus on work and deliver output then everyone is happy.”
“Everyone you work with is kind and genuinely supportive and interested in helping you grow your career.”
“You get to work with some really smart and talented people on some really cool projects.”
National Account Manager Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of account managers
An account manager serves as a liaison between customers and a company. They are often in charge of bringing in new business, handling and maintaining external leads, and determining clients' needs before developing services or products to meet their needs.
Working as an account manager is a good job for people who like sales and have a competitive edge. The advantage of being an account manager is working in all types of companies and industries. You can expect to work regular business hours, with some exceptions based on clients' needs.
An account manager job is a lucrative position and a sought-after job in a variety of industries. The top earners in the field make around HK$42,000 with the average salary for an account manager being about HK$42,000 a year. Good performance can result in promotions to senior account manager positions.
Working in the account management field is often fast-paced and challenging. These positions work with clients but also have to stay informed about all aspects of the company. It's often a collaborative position that needs strong interpersonal and communication skills.