What does an IT Lead/Manager do?
IT managers are responsible for coordinating, planning, and leading computer-related activities in an organization. They help determine the IT needs of an organization and are responsible for implementing computer systems to fulfill the organization's information systems requirements. The scope of an IT manager's responsibilities varies. In some cases, the focus is solely on computer networks. In other cases, the focus can be on managing telecommunications systems and other electronic support systems related to the company operations.
Typically, IT managers have a Bachelor's degree in computer science, information science, or a related field, and relevant work experience. Some IT managers also have a graduate degree. IT managers need strong problem-solving and project management skills.
- Lead large IT projects, including the design and deployment of new IT systems and services
- Monitor performance of information technology systems to determine cost and productivity levels, and to make recommendations for improving the IT infrastructure
- Help define IT infrastructure strategy, architecture, and processes
- Analyze business requirements by partnering with key stakeholders across the organization to develop solutions for IT needs
- Assess vendors and develop test strategies for new hardware and software
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues related to internal IT
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 2-5 years of experience working in IT operations
- Experience leading and managing large IT projects and rolling out IT infrastructures across various technologies
- Excellent working knowledge of computer systems, security, network and systems administration, databases and data storage systems, and phone systems
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Excellent project management skills and strong ability to prioritize
- Firm grasp on IT infrastructure and operations best practices
Lead Information Technology Manager Salaries
There are no current reports for Lead Information Technology Manager salaries. You can add additional job titles in your job preferences to see related salary information.
IT Lead/Manager Career Path
Learn how to become an IT Lead/Manager, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
IT Lead/Manager Insights
“I had the best boss that I have ever had and only left to pursue a unique and rare opportunity.”
“career growth is slow and not good at promoting employee who is working at their next level.”
“The best reason to work with Ghershen Consultancy House is it allows Carrier development and great compensation in salary”
“Good payment for your work and recognises you if you and your work is worth of.”
“1) You get to work with highly talented people who have high standards and great value.”
“This one of the best companies to work for and our core values are proven everyday by everyone.”
“Great company to work for with opportunities to grow your career and be challenged along the way.”
“Learning is great within It & InfoSec function and impact of what you do can be observed.”
IT Lead/Manager Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of an IT Lead/Manager
- IT Consultant
- Information Technology Specialist
- Information Technology Administrator
The most common qualifications to become an IT Lead/Manager is a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.