What does an Investment Banking Associate do?
Investment banking associates perform client-facing roles in the financial industry. They may serve as the first point of contact for a client and usually work full time at a financial services agency. Once they have a sense of clients’ financial needs and short and long-term goals, they create a portfolio of investment opportunities by evaluating specific companies and industry data.
Investment banking associates cultivate new relationships and maintain existing relationships. They create marketing collateral and present financial information while conducting valuation analyses, managing the creation and execution of client transactions, and initiating strategic financial transactions to profit their company. Investment banking associates prepare cash flow models and draft memorandums and other communications with clients and investors. Investment banking associates need at least a bachelor's degree in accounting, business, or finance.
- Handle routine customer requests and inquiries, such as loan histories, posting errors, changes of address, line of credit advances, construction loan draws, notary services, lien releases, etc.
- Provide personal and professional service to the customer.
- Following loan approval, serve as liaison between Lender and Loan Processing, to request and coordinate preparation of loan documents and schedule closings.
- Assist the Loan Officer in maintain, commercial credit files by scanning and indexing borrower financial records into the bank's digital record keeping platform.
- Provide for the day to day customer service needs of the bank's clients by answering phones, research answers to inquiries and providing solutions to problems.
- Facilitate the proper creation and recordation of all collateral interests to ensure they are properly perfected and maintained.
- Generate ideas and analytical materials in support of new client meetings.
- Perform financial modeling and valuation analysis on public and private companies: comparable company analysis, precedent transaction analysis, leveraged buyout analysis and discounted cash flow analysis.
- Develop marketing materials for topics such as company positioning, financing alternatives, and M&A strategic alternatives.
- Obtain/review collateral documents such as life insurance assignment and cash collateral accounts.
- Verify collateral and checks for delinquent taxes and orders Future Advance Endorsements.
- Generate and distribute reports, such as Past Due Loans, Maturing Loan List, Loans by Officer, and others as requested.
- Bachelor's Degree in business.
- Prior experience as a consultant.
- Skilled with client interaction and problem solving.
- Requires careful attention to detail and sound time management skills.
- A collaborator and decision maker.
- Strong leadership, time management, and critical thinking skills.
- Experience with statistics, C#, and threading exercises.
- Experience in banking.
- Is comfortable conducting site inspections .
Investment Banking Associate Salaries
Average Base Pay
Investment Banking Associate Career Path
Learn how to become an Investment Banking Associate, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Investment Banking Associate Insights
“This is definitely not a good place to develop your career if you are used to North American work culture.”
“The pay increase is not up to market when you grow internally and it’s well known to pay drastically better people externally.”
“Career progression is possible but you must master the advice centre first which is heavily based on advice per day which is not everyone's strength.”
“Did not feel like there was any vested interest in my own career development and ambitions.”
“Good good good good good”
“Good for career start and experience”
“Exposure to important work and great people go work with”
“Good training and development with good support”
Investment Banking Associate Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of an Investment Banking Associate
- Equity Research Specialist
- Investment Banking Analyst
- Equity Analyst
- Investment Analyst