What does a General Manager do?
A General Manager leads a geographically dispersed team in an assigned Region. The Region includes 5-7 stores under your purview need to be overseen with a customer centric leadership style. You are responsible for hiring, training and mentoring the Store Managers and developing a succession plan for each store. Your main responsibility is to have a strategic plan that address store profitability through customer loyalty and staff retention.
The ideal candidate has a bachelor's degree in business administration or related field, with 3-5 years of management experience in a retail environment and 5-8 years of experience in a department store or retail establishment. Previous P&L and multi site management experience are essential. You need have a valid driver's license with a clean driving record for the past 24 months and pass a background check before an offer can be made.
- Expected to achieve quarterly benchmarks on P&L
- Prepare a strategic plan for your assigned Region
- Responsible for hiring, mentoring & training Store Managers
- Develop Succession plan for each Store in your assigned Region
- Overall security plan for each Store in your assigned Region
- Oversee safety & training plan for each Store in your assigned Region
- Ensure all stores in your assigned Region are following labor & wage laws
- Offer training & development opportunities
- 3-5 years of management experience in a retail environment
- 5-8 years of experience in a department store or retail establishment
- Ability to pass a background check
- A valid Driver's license with clean driving record for 24 months
- Must have P&L experience
- Experience working in a union environment, preferred
- Must have multi-site management
- Experience in strategic planning
- Have reliable transportation to visit each store
General Manager Salaries
Average Base Pay
General Manager Career Path
Learn how to become a General Manager, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
General Manager Insights
“Great starting pay and great quality of life once your store gets up and going.”
“Career opportunities for growth were very good in my experience and I was able to advance my career there significantly.”
“employee which is fine but know you’re Management team well and send the best person to deal with HR issues”
“If you want a work life balance and someone to care for your career or your well”
“I can openly voice my issues and share feedback because my supervisor is trustworthy and knowledgeable.”
“For the most part my direct supervisors have all been very responsive and I enjoyed working for them.”
“Working in a sports bar is great and I love it and the interaction with team members and guests.”
“So far so good...it’s been great so far and I love it!!!”
General Manager Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of general managers
Each day, a general manager is responsible for the operations, administrative functions, and finances of a particular company. Since the job entails many aspects, many general managers delegate these jobs so they can be more effective and supervise these lower-level managers.
Employment opportunities for general managers should remain strong. One advantage of working as a general manager is that they they can complete some tasks from almost anywhere. This is because they usually work at a computer doing administrative tasks and speaking to vendors on the phone.
General managers do get paid well. The average base salary for general managers in the United States is HK$70,000 per year, depending on where they work and years of experience. With the proper training and education, they can earn up to HK$120,000 per year.
There are some difficult aspects about being a general manager, for example they might work evenings and weekends. If you're considering becoming a general manager, also keep in mind that some travel might be involved to meet with upper management.