What does a Finance Associate do?
Finance associates are responsible for a broad range of basic financial functions, including managing accounting duties and providing financial expertise. They offer guidance and advice on long-term financial decisions and strategic plans, using metrics and data analytics to support their positions. They are often enlisted to participate in discussions and decision-making related to budgets, investments, and other financial matters. By staying well-informed of historical trends and current economic activities, they can formulate educated predictions to guide future planning. They may also perform basic accounting and budgeting tasks.
Finance associates typically have at least a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or a business field. Proficiency in common office and accounting programs like Excel and QuickBooks is usually required. They must be highly organized, detail oriented, and able to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Assist with answering phones, directing calls to appropriate personnel, taking messages and assisting with general inquiries.
- Lead, as well as participate, in process improvement efforts (Six Sigma).
- Assist with data gather and support of tax audits.
- Assist in month-end account reconciliations, including banks and credit cards.
- Support the development, testing and delivery of systems improvement initiatives.
- Set up appointments to discuss clients' current financial situation.
- Conduct extensive fact-finding to uncover long-term goals that use to help determine clients' needs.
- Prepare all necessary documents for clear transfer of property ownership.
- Assist all other escrow locations with their job duties as needed.
- Support the team with various daily clerical and administrative related data entry.
- Prepare, reconcile and update monthly management reports and monitor for variances over/under budget line items.
- Assist with evaluation of efficiency and effectiveness of internal controls in selected business areas.
- Assist with imaging and filing of documents, plus other miscellaneous projects, as needed.
- Develop and monitor divisional budgets for management information and reporting purposes.
- Review and approve invoices and backup documentation for goods and services purchased.
- Support performance and key initiatives to help drive growth and profitability within the territories.
- Prepare letters for analysts and obtain copies of invoices for customers, as requested.
- Partner with the investment team in preparing the financial contents of prospective acquisition bid letters and investment committee materials.
- Gain exposure to SEC financial reporting and government contract compliance requirements.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in accounting, business, business administration, business information systems, computer science or information technology, or equivalent experience.
- A critical thinker, leader, and problem solver with strict attention to details.
- Strong computer literacy and time management skills.
- Demonstrated solid work ethic and confidence on the job as well as high tolerance for instructing and assisting.
- Prior experience in a consulting position.
- Experience with business case development, requirements gathering and general ledger.
Finance Associate Salaries near Hong Kong
Average Base Pay
Finance Associate Career Path
Learn how to become a Finance Associate, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Finance Associate Insights
“5 and is a lot of work but its a lot of learning at the beginning which was helpful.”
“Excellent Top Management people that in no way would make you feel uncomfortable or anything else.”
“One of the coolest CEO's I've met and It's amazing to work with him.”
“I have a great team that I work with and I love supporting my clients with their accounting needs.”
“Techbyheart Academy is the best academy in Kerala for those seeking quality training in cybersecurity and ethical hacking.”
“EGPAF is really a good place to work with a lot of fun people and professionals.”
“I had no previous finance experience and I was given the opportunity to learn on the job alongside my course.”
“Its a great way to start your career or be a stepping stone to something more.”
Finance Associate Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of finance associates
A typical day of a finance associate involves gathering and analyzing data to help make critical corporate financial decisions. Finance associates focus on financial management and are well-versed in accounting standards and tax codes. Working as a finance associate entails developing, implementing, and maintaining finance systems and helping to maintain company compliance with finance regulations.
The best part about being a finance associate is that it is a good career for individuals who enjoy competition, numbers, and socializing. The finance industry is highly competitive, so building a network can expand a finance associate's career opportunities. Earning a master's degree in finance or a related field can provide a competitive advantage when becoming a finance associate, demonstrate a commitment to the profession, and prove advanced knowledge.
Yes, successful finance associates get paid well. The average pay for finance associates in the United States is HK$45,000 per year. How much finance associates earn depends on their work experience, level of education, skills, and demand for their work.
Working as a finance associate is challenging, as many are required to prepare financial reports and budgets and to assist with audits. Because finance associates typically work on several teams, it is crucial to be flexible, adaptable, and comfortable in different environments. Individuals must also pay close attention to details in order to catch minor discrepancies in financial reports and resolve issues promptly.