What does a Director of Marketing and Communications do?
Marketing communications specialists increase brand awareness for a company's current and potential clients and work in nearly every industry to create marketing materials to distribute to customers including newsletters, brochures, or email blasts. They also collaborate with design teams to produce other materials, including a white paper or promotional video. They distribute marketing materials to the appropriate parties, research online and offline channels, and determine best practices for distributing their marketing materials for maximum exposure.
Marketing communications specialists track marketing campaigns once they have successfully launched. Utilizing metrics including customer engagement or conversion rates, they identify how to improve future marketing campaigns and make notes. They are responsible for reporting campaign performance to upper management by analyzing data to create presentations on analysis to deliver. They run special marketing and promotions campaigns and may be responsible for the setup of interviews or press conferences, which involves reaching out to media and industry experts. Marketing communications specialists need at least a bachelor's degree in marketing, media, communications, or related fields.
- Responsible for collection, analysis and reporting of marketing KPI's.
- Partner with agencies on strategic communications and graphic design.
- Implement performance metrics and tracking tools to measure results.
- Create press releases and distribute to local media outlets.
- Act as the organization's representative with the media and at conferences.
- Manage short-term and long-term resource allocation to ensure project timelines are met.
- Understand customer pain points, assist in defining solutions and bring them to life.
- Assist with approval social media and other ads from marketing vendor.
- Coordinate web projects that present consistent, timely, and accurate information to prospective students and families.
- Prepare, monitor, and evaluate departmental budgets, and ensure that the department operates in compliance with allocated funding.
- Create flyers, promotional materials for upcoming events and engage constituents.
- Develop and implement brand management.
- Oversee the implementation and execution of the marketing strategy - including campaigns, events, digital and print marketing.
- Build team culture and consistently hold employees accountable for upholding the organization's values.
- Support the achievement of key strategic goals while generating gainful media coverage.
- Able to socialize ideas, make recommendations, develop plans and gather consensus to move forward.
- Lead and define go to market strategies for e-commerce activities in support of company strategic plan.
- Bachelor's Degree in communications, marketing, business, or technology or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience in a consultant position.
- Sound attention to detail.
- Comfortable with liaising and collaborate with others.
- Experience with Google Analytics, InDesign, HTML, Photoshop, and Adobe Creative Suite software.
- Solid critical thinking and leadership skills.
- Comfortable writing, editing, and distributing communications materials such as newsletters.
- Able to assist with retargeting where appropriate.
Director of Marketing and Communications Salaries near Hong Kong
Average Base Pay
Director of Marketing and Communications Career Path
Learn how to become a Director of Marketing and Communications, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Director of Marketing and Communications Insights
“Worked with some of the most amazing and talented colleagues I have in my career.”
“The pay is good and the projects are always interesting and bring positive impact to our clients.”
“You get to do different things here and wear different hats which proved to be a great learning opportunity”
“• Emphasis on career development: I am given opportunities to stretch and really get hands”
“I've been given many opportunities to grow my career at Samuel and will continue to do so!”
“No comments as it is minimum but yes you can be offered a good bucks.”
“Working with Mr Jonesing was really good and I anticipate to work with this business anytime soon.”
“Not much clarity on career development paths and what is needed in order to move up.”
Director of Marketing and Communications Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Director of Marketing and Communications
- Market Researcher
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Market Analyst
- Marketing Manager