What does a Devops Engineer do?
A DevOps Engineer combines an understanding of both engineering and coding. A DevOps Engineer works with various departments to create and develop systems within a company. From creating and implementing systems software to analyzing data to improve existing ones, a DevOps Engineer increases productivity in the workplace. A DevOps Engineer works to balance various aspects of a project, most of them complex issues such as programming and network building.
A DevOps Engineer is generally found in large corporations and works with other industry professionals to meet the needs of customer and clients. They usually begin as an engineer from one of the many fields, and as they gain expertise in the industry use their ability to conceptualize the big picture and advance to the position of DevOps Engineer. A bachelor's degree is required for the position, with many holding advanced degrees in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related engineering fields. Individuals with a firm, holistic understanding of both the operational and scope aspects of projects tend to excel in this position.
- Analyze current technology utilized within the company and develop steps and processes to improve and expand upon them
- Establish milestones for necessary contributions from departments and develop processes to facilitate their collaboration
- Assist other department engineers in creating practical demonstrations of proposed solutions and demonstrating them to other members of the team
- Provide detailed specifications for proposed solutions including materials, manpower and time necessary
- Provide clear goals for all areas of a project and develop steps to oversee their timely execution
- Work closely with engineering professionals within the company to maintain hardware and software needed for projects to be completed efficiently
- Mentor and train other engineers throughout the company and seek to continually improve processes companywide
- Work alongside project management teams to successfully monitor progress and implementation of initiatives
- Experience developing engineering applications for a large corporation
- Demonstrated project development and leadership skills
- Master's degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering is preferred
- Current understanding of best practices regarding system security measures
- Advanced education and application of business analysis techniques and strategy
- Experience with software engineering, customer experience and civil engineering preferred
- Experience working together with teams from several departments to facilitate the orderly execution of a proposed project plan
- Professional experience and a high-level understanding of working with various operating systems and their implications
- Professional work experience in team building and project organization
Devops Engineer Salaries near Hong Kong
Average Base Pay
Devops Engineer Career Path
Learn how to become a Devops Engineer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Devops Engineer Insights
“Extremely supportive and engaging leadership makes it one of the best firms to work with.”
“Working in such a high level place with talented people is what really makes it fun and enjoyable.”
“Good payment for your work and recognises you if you and your work is worth of”
“4. It's good to work in guidance of Siba Sir and Mohinder Sir.”
“Coming from college to Prudential was a great place to start my career and helped me develop my skills.”
“I was working in an internal team and got an excellent opportunity to explore my skills and grow up more.”
“They have placed me in roles that allowed me to learn a great deal and advance my career.”
“Good payment for your work and recognises you if you and your work is worth of.”
Devops Engineer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of DevOps engineers
DevOps stands for development and operations, so DevOps engineers bridge the gap between software development and IT operations. Every day, the DevOps engineer makes sure the software runs smoothly and collaborates with other team members to make sure everything is operational.
Yes, DevOps engineering is a huge market, and it's expected to increase in popularity. High-quality software is becoming necessary to connect companies' and customers' needs. If you become a DevOps engineer, you will find that it's a varying job where it's unlikely that two days are the same.
DevOps engineers can make a solid salary. The average base salary for a DevOps engineer is HK$86,000 per year in the United States, depending on the location and years of experience. That number can reach up to HK$184,750 per year with enough experience and training.
As with any job, there are some challenges to working as a DevOps engineer. For example, the job can be stressful and rigorous. DevOps engineers need experience working with specific software packages, and they might need additional training when updates arrive. They also must have intuitive skills to figure out how to fix problems.