What does a Senior Technical Support Engineer do?
A Technical Support Engineer is generally hired by a company to oversee and maintain their computer hardware and software systems. Their skills assist the company in resolving technical issues concerning customer's accounts or company software infrastructure. A Technical Support Engineer will also support computer software integration by diagnosing and troubleshooting common problems. Employees holding this job title generally begin in IT or IT Assistant roles.
A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or closely related degree is required for the position. Additionally, some companies also require certification in industry-specific networks or operating systems. Individuals with a strong customer service background and a positive outlook on problem-solving tend to excel in the position of a Technical Support Engineer.
- Attend in-person meetings with clients to analyze, troubleshoot and diagnose hardware problems
- Actively update, maintain and monitor all aspects of computer networks
- Install and configure computer systems and applications within the company
- Respond to customer inquiries and assist in troubleshooting and resolving challenges
- Complete detailed reports listing requests to technical assistance, steps taken to resolve them, and the specific dates/individuals involved
- Assist management in creating training materials pertaining to computer troubleshooting and usage
- Act as the initial point of contact for all computer and system related concerns from clients or other employees
- Organize and file documentation pertaining to warranties and instructional guides for computer hardware
- Industry-specific certification in relevant computer languages or software may be required
- 3-5 years of proven experience in a heavy customer focus position involving and technical knowledge of a companies' products and services
- Comfortable working in and assisting others through company help desk software, such as Zendesk in addition to other remote access desktop programs
- Extensive experience working with different operating systems including Windows and Mac OS
- Time-management skills and the ability to establish reasonable and attainable deadlines for resolution
- Ability to prioritize and manage several milestones and projects efficiently
- Professional written and interpersonal skills are essential when communicating with customers and clients
- Experience installing and configuring computer systems and applications for a large company
- Accept constructive criticism and customer feedback regarding their experience with software or IT services
Senior Technical Support Engineer Salaries near Hong Kong
Average Base Pay
Senior Technical Support Engineer Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Technical Support Engineer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Senior Technical Support Engineer Insights
“The projects given for graduate interns were more challenging and I got to work with a great team.”
“Being able to put our skills to the test is the most rewarding and fun part about the job.”
“Some really smart engineers worked here and that was the best part about working at Synopsys”
“Best to place to start your career and you get to work along some great minds”
“They expect great understanding of many tech concepts but at the same time the pay level is poor.”
“Competitive salary based on responsibilities and role not based on where you're coming from.”
“2.Being a fresher I feel the training at movate is good and the trainers explain us in an understanding way.”
“Poor salary scale which is not competitive in the market and in line with the present economy.”
Senior Technical Support Engineer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Senior Technical Support Engineer
When working as a Senior Technical Support Engineer, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Operating Systems, Windows Server, Oracle AND SQL, Cloud and BASH.
- Desktop Engineer
- Technical Support Specialist
- Helpdesk Technician
- Support Engineer
The most common qualifications to become a Senior Technical Support Engineer is a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.